Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Examining Prejudice




     As a group we would like to follow the stories of these two young Black men and Black men that have similar stories. The left photograph shows the parents of young teen Trayvon Martin at a rally trying to gain support for their son. The right picture is of Mamie Elizabeth Till-Mobley at the funeral of her son, Emmett Till. We have chosen these two photographs as our texts because we believe that they have a clear link. Both photographs show the reactions of family members close to the deceased. In addition, Emmett Till's murder sparked the African American civil rights movement and Trayvon Martin is often compared to him.

-Amber Ebanks

8 comments:

  1. Have you guys heard of the shooting of Chris Lane? He was a 22 year old Australian baseball player who was shot to death, and people believe that the motive that the shooters had for killing him was also because of race. However, it is different from these situations, because unlike those cases, the victim was of white color, and the killers were three teenage boys. Two of the boys were African-American, and the third was half black and half white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you guys chose a picture with the word “hoodwink” in it, because it clearly draws the audience attention. They are using hoods in the court, and the hoods make the audience remember Trayvon and thus evoke more feelings. Every detail matches this purpose: the text and the picture from court.

      Delete
    2. Good observation, Fatima. Trayvon's hood is Emmett's wolf-whistle. They are these imaginary markers of danger that their killers used to justify their own behavior. There are other popular symbols like this, of course.

      Delete
  3. I like the topic of this blog. I was very interested about the story of Emmet when I had first learned about it in class and am excited to see more of what this page turns into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are good topics to compare because they reflect similar situations that ended with the same result even years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this topic because it really captures one of the major changes that the 60s and 70s were engulfed in and showed how today that even though it is suppressed it isn't fully eliminated.
    also is it just me or do both treyvon and emmit look almost alike?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this topic because it really shows the unfortunate reality that sometimes a tragedy must occur to get people to come to the realization that there is an issue in society that needs to be changed.

    ReplyDelete